This year, Year 5 will complete Level 1 and Level 2 Bikeability from 15-18 April 2024.
There is no cost for the course.
To achieve the Bikeability award, pupils will be instructed on how to ride their bikes to the Government-approved National Standard for Cycle Training. Unfortunately, the course is not suitable for non-riders or bikes with stabilisers.
1. Level 1 is usually covered in a traffic free environment. By completing Level 1, your child will be able to demonstrate the skills and understanding to be able to make a trip and undertake activities safely in a motor traffic free environment and as a pre-requisite to a road trip. Only by completing level one on the playground can the children progress to level two on road training.
2. Level 2 is covered on quieter roads but with real traffic conditions. By completing Level 2 your child will be able to demonstrate the skills and understanding to be able to make a trip safely to school or for leisure on quieter roads with adult supervision.
Checklist for training
Please ensure that your child is adequately prepared for their training by completing the consent form and returning it to school. Before your child arrives, you should check their bike.
The instructors, reserve the right to refuse to take out any child whose cycle is considered un-roadworthy.
You should check:
• Bicycle with saddle and handlebars adjusted to the correct height
• Two fully functioning brakes
• Pumped up tyres with no punctures.
*If you need to borrow a bike, please advise the school office who will arrange for a loan.*
It is also important that your child is dressed appropriately for the training:
• Think about the weather – ensure that your child has a waterproof jacket/gloves
• Don’t forget about a properly fitted cycle helmet (or we can provide one to borrow)
• Ensure your child is wearing shoes with a closed heel and toe.
High-visibility vests will be provided for each child on the day and the group will be fully supervised at all times by qualified National Standards Instructors.
Once your child has completed each level of their Bikeability award, they will be presented with a certificate, badge and parental feedback information.